Thursday, September 10, 2009

of bones and rods

in a fit of fatigue, crossness and irritation (that is wholly induced by my new rotation and my current workmate), i told my senior residen, "I HATE ORTHO!!!!" before i could stop myself.
OOPS. that was a real "open mouth insert foot" moment.

thankfully i recovered enough to remove my big fat foot and apologise profusely, but he'd already burst into amused laughter by then. SO SUPER NICE :D

i'm grateful he's going to be my resident on call when i slog through my first ortho call (HORRORS)! can't ask for a nicer person :D

the world of bones and rods is a world i am wholly unaccustomed too, and i find myself missing the world of women and babies terribly insanely much so. i miss caesars, i miss epi repairs, i miss VEs, i miss CTGs (so much easier to read than ECGs!), i miss ultrasound pelvis, i miss alot of things. i miss the nurses, the residents, the administrative things. and the PLUGS, ohhhhh, THE PLUGS!!!!

but that's not to say ortho is entirely hateful. the nurses here are fabulous (mostly!) and really do try. the workload can be very light and i get to eat lunch!
days are early but i don't have to do 630 am rounds :)

on the bad side? i am this toilet bowl, as all interns are - we suck up all the shit that is flushed down, and there can really be alot alot of shit.
i need to remind myself that orthopods are VERY GOOD at what they do. and not at anything else, unfortunately! :\

getting scolded by other departments is a daily affair - seems like everyone is too scared to scold the attendings so they end up scolding you instead. ah well.

presenting at trauma rounds cm, trying to grow a thicker skin because i'm sure to get scolded so bad. hopefully i emerge tear free! :D

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

Ortho is NOT my area of strength. I feel your pain.