Monday, May 11, 2009

first call

thus ends my first call - on a sunday, no less!

thankfully, my good call luck seems to be holding! :D must really give thanks that every plug and blood i took (except one, and even my JR couldn't set that!) was really easily done and most were on the first try! :D was still feeling extremely demoralised after thurs where i failed every single one but this is proof that there is a God out there for He must really have heard my pleas :D

but then again, to put things in perspective - i was on my feet from 730 am to 640 pm, the only sitting down was doing discharges. :\
i only got to eat "lunch" at 9 pm - i am so slow at doing stuff! :( thankfully the nurses were all v nice and understanding as to why i was so lousy and useless and they were telling me to stop being so frazzled and to take my time. hahaha i love nurses!!!! :D

my phone stopped ringing around 9 pm, and i managed to bathe and squeeze in about 4 hours of sleep overall in between running to see a new patient with CA cervix (and also HIV positive, super scary drawing bloods, i double-gloved and tried to use as few needles as possible!) who's Hb was 4.6 - had to call for emergency bloods and monitor her closely, and another septic patient with an intra-abdominal abscess for urgent CT scan (there was no end of fighting between the nurses and the radiologist - the nurses insisted she was to be NBM but the radiologist insisted on oral contrast - so i solved it by calling the attending in charge, who was super nice and even sounded appreciative that i called to update him. whew!) :D

went off post-call at 330 pm, my dad had to text me to tell me to go home! thankfully my friend protected me from the nurses by saying i was post-call and forcibly shooing me out of the ward so they wouldn't ask me to do anymore work. very very thankful for that.

so i survived my first call in the peripheral wards, next call is come thursday in the labour ward! hopefully i get to see a couple of deliveries and i get to learn episiotomy repair :D

No comments: