Monday, May 4, 2009

post first day of work

i am so tired i feel like dropping to the ground. having spent 11 hours running around cluelessly in an N95 mask breathing in carbon dioxide doesn't really help much either.

i suppose that's why i dropped off to dreamland on the way home and missed my stop! :(

first day wasn't that bad, i was high on adrenaline and fear, managed to turn up at the hospital at 7 am only to find myself locked out of day surgery and spent a good 10 min wandering around before getting a call from the nurse wondering if i was coming! after explaining that well, i was rather lost, she came out to get me very nicely. OOPS.

had all of ONE patient whom my boss efficiently clerked and bustled up to the OT before i even realised what was going on! :\ oh no i hope i know what to do tomorrow else i will be placing my fat neck on the chopping block. urlp.

after that i was scurried up to a ward to help out and i was even more clueless - i did my first cervagem insertion, my first doptone, my first consent taking and blood transfusion and giving iv antibiotics all by myself (with loads and loads of help from the nurses!!!!). OMG.

my friend and i were so stressed out and we only got to eat lunch at 3 pm (which is good, compared to what i hear from my other friends - eating a sandwhich in the lift on the way to exit rounds, having nothing to eat or drink till 9 pm at night, HORRORS).

but i'm thankful for the work, i could be out of a job right now and desperately looking for one. i could be one of my classmates who failed. i could be someone who never made it to medical school. so i am deeply thankful that though slave work this may be, i am here.

alright now i have said the requisite deep stuff (hahahaha) i shall now talk about some stupider stuff.

1. the bloody n95 mask is like a face sauna and gives me a heat rash. plus it removes all my painstaking applied makeup!!!! :( i am most unhappy with the last point, obviously. haha

2. i am possibly the dumbest intern ever, when a patient's potassium levels came back as 3.2 (normal is 3.5 to 5), i said, OH LEAVE IT. and all the nurses promptly crowded around me in shock and horror and ordered me to write down and order for mist KCl. oops. so being the good girl i am (hahaha), i did so meekly.

3. on reaching the canteen, all of us interns promptly held up our n95 masks and fanned ourselves for air! so funny. one small kid was staring at us very intently, i can't tell if he was horrified or amused.

4. all the former interns (stopped from moving onto the next rotation thanks to H1N1), promptly disappeared at some point in the day and were uncontactable. hrmmm. i suspect they all went out for either lunch or karaoke!!!!! tskkkk. but who's to blame them? ;)

5. when you're as dumb/blur/clueless as i am, the nurses are really really your best friends :)
I LOVE NURSES!!!!!

No comments: