Wednesday, May 6, 2009

it's only day 3!

in my friend's words, " DAMN SHAG".

we're all drop dead tired after day 3 - at least on days 1 and 2 you had adrenaline to keep you going but on day 3 it's really bad cos everything hits you at one go - the lack of rest, the stress, the expectations that you should know enough of what's going on, the work piling up etc.

my job has suddenly expanded, seems that my intern buddy neglected to tell me quite a few things about day surgery!!! so it resulted in the junior resident being rather unhappy with me, thinking i was shirking my duties. :\ took me rather alot of groveling and apologising profusely on that point! i can't really blame her :\
but at least she was nice enough to teach me what i should do, and when i had to call her for help later on she answered quite happily (i guess since i'm relieving her of her job, hahaha)

today was hectic, rushed through same day admits clinic and went upstairs to help my friend out, and on walking into the ward, the nurses grabbed me and showed me what they wanted me to do - the WHOLE COUNTER was filled with files! :( :( :(
as if that wasn't enough, they then plonked 5 files into my hands and said these needed to be discharged by noon. and i got there at 10 plus! :\
plus the other intern was dealing with a dangerously ill patient so it was up to me to get the work done :\
had to send an emergency SOS out to all my friends, and i am SO SUPER GRATEFUL to those who came to help me out! :D :D :D I LOVE YOU ALL, REALLY REALLY REALLY!!!
between the 3 of them, they cleared the discharges, updated the attendings, dealth with a pleural effusion and calmed the nurses whilst i clerked the new cases and set plugs.

but well, the 2 of us in the ward eventually only had lunch at 330 pm :( :( at least we got lunch so i can't really complain i guess! still, it's not joke drinking less than 500 ml of water the whole day.

had a good chat with a patient today whilst setting a plug and asking about her decision for a PCN (percutaneous nephrostomy). she's so sweet! :) it's things like this that really make me happy, patient care is right up there.

on the sad side, saw an aborted foetus :( :( my friend and i were curious so we opened the box, and OMG, i was so so sad after i saw it. it was tiny, about a hand's size, if curled in foetal position it could probably fit into a large palm. it was all red and jelly like, but you could see the ribs, the clavicles, the ears, the perfectly formed fingers and toes, the white jelly of the umbilical cord. it was a perfect baby :( :( :(
it's at times like this i wish i was an objector to abortions, but i've thought it over alot and asked a few people on this, including my family. and i think i'll stick to non-objector for now, but we'll see how it goes in the future.

on the other bad side, my exams in september have been cancelled due to swine flu :( :( :( oh well!

2 comments:

XE said...

Oh my gosh!! It'll get better as you get used to your role, and settle in and everything! Good luck, you can do it :)

Dopey said...

hey chk with u, what exams? cuz i'm taking some medical exams next week but i haven't received any information abt them being cancelled.

you can email me at cvianne@hotmail.com. thanks a lot!

Cheers, liqi